Although Easter is a Christian holiday, many of the traditions that have built up around it have their origins in earlier pagan celebrations of spring. That is why many of the sweet treats associated with Easter seem to have no connection to the Christian Easter story. However, since many of these goodies are symbolic of fertility and new life, they are now seen as having a connection to the new life/resurrection aspect of Easter. Here are a few of my favorite fertility-themed treats:
- Cadbury Creme Eggs: Eggs are an obvious symbol of new life and fertility.
- Cadbury Mini Eggs: Eggs again.
- Chocolate Bunnies: Representing the rapidly-reproducing rabbit.
- Jellybeans: Linked to Easter because they are egg-shaped.
- Marshmallow Peeps: Baby chicks are often seen as a sign of spring.
- Whoppers Robin Eggs: Yet another egg connection.