- By George! A modernized version of “by Jove!” (in other words, Jupiter).
- For Pete’s Sake! A softer form of “for God’s sake” or “for Christ’s sake,” supposedly a reference to St. Peter.
- For the Love of Mike! Slightly less popular, according to Google, than “for the love of Pete!” but Pete’s already made the list, so I thought I should send some love the way of St. Michael.
- Godfrey Daniels! I’d never heard of this before, but it’s a kinder, gentler way of saying “God damn.”
- Jesus ((H.) Christ)! Probably the most commonly used expression on this list (in one form or another), despite Commandment #3 (#2 if you’re Catholic or Lutheran)
- Great Scott! According to one theory, this is a folk etymology of the German Gruess Gott (Greet God).
- Jumpin’ Jehoshaphat! Frequently misspelled as “Jehosaphat,” this expression apparently originated as a way to avoid saying “Jesus.”
March 8, 2007