September 18, 2006

32 Weirdly Specific Museums

Taking as a starting point my short list in Museums of Interesting Things at Interesting Thing of the Day, I set out to discover other small museums that specialize in just one specific (and typically rather odd) subject matter. I thought I’d find a few more; it turns out there are dozens. Here’s a mere sampling from around the world; for other lists, see Weird museums and America’s Weird Museums. And by the way, these are all brick-and-mortar museums; there are many more that exist only on the Web.

61 Responses to “32 Weirdly Specific Museums”

1. 32 Weirdly Specific Museums « Modern Furniture said:

[…] read more | digg story Posted in Uncategorized. […]

2. Lori Polka said:

The BarbWire Museum is awesome. The building was once a bra factory. Not only do you learn about the of history of barbwire and ranching in Texas, but the evolution of the bra.

3. Al said:

let’s not forget the Crayola Museum in Easton, PA (US)

4. Colonel Moutarde said:

The “Hand Museum” in Lausanne, Switzerland

Most of the time medical oriented exhibitions, but boring all the time !

5. Deirdre said:

St. Petersburg, Russia has a “Hygeine Museum” designed to scare schoolchildren into washing their hands. Exhibits include Pavlov’s real dog, a smoker’s lung, and lifesize models depicting victims of various diseases (plague, cholera, etc.)

6. Stu said:

Two weirdly specific museums in one: a) Zane Grey Museum (author, notable for westerns) b) National Road Museum Each worth the price of admission. http://ohsweb.ohiohistory.org/places/se07/index.shtml

Also I’ve been to the Pedaling History Bicycle Museum in Orchard Park, NY. Too bad it’s closing its doors. http://www.pedalinghistory.com/

7. download free movies said:

LMAO!! I was laughing on the first 5 or so entries.. LOL do these actually exist? That’s really weird! This post just made my day 🙂

8. Nursery Admission said:

WOW nice collections of museums.

9. Indian Discussions forum said:

This is wonderful collection of museums and some are really strange

10. maizuru said:

[…] IMMIGRANTS TO JAPAN: REVIEWS, … YOUR IMMIGRATION FINGERPRINTING EXPERIENCES POST NOV 20 2007 …32 Weirdly Specific Museums | SenseListName (required) Mail (will not be published) (required) Website. Archives. About. Contact. With […]

11. Ben Johnson said:

I would like to see the toilet museum 😀 It has to be pretty interesting.